The threat of eminent domain is scary. That’s why the pipeline corporations threaten people with eminent domain.
They also know if it’s scary enough that people will quickly sign on the dotted line and not read or understand the easement.
THERE IS NO GOOD REASON TO GRANT A PIPELINE EASEMENT!
When voluntarily granting a pipeline easement:
• YOU give away YOUR right to sue the pipeline company.
• YOU enter into a business deal with unknown future liabilities.
• YOU may have continuing extra insurance expense.
• YOUR mortgage or refinance options may be jeopardized
• YOU may become a defendant in a lawsuit
• Additional Pipelines or utilities may be “Co-Located” on the easement without further compensation or permissions
• Pipelines for one type of fossil fuels may be converted for transport of other fuels or liquids.
If you force Eminent Domain:
• YOU retain YOUR right to sue. YOU preserve YOUR right to sue in a class action for a taking of YOUR land
• YOU are not liable or responsible for problems or damages that may occur
• Pipeline corporation is solely liable and responsible
• YOU cannot be named as a defendant in a lawsuit
• NO “Co-location” of more pipelines or utilities is allowed
• ONLY the original fuel or liquid type is allowed. Pipeline use cannot be converted to carry other fuels or liquids
• YOU still receive financial compensation
• The pipeline may be relocated to avoid YOUR property
• If enough people force Eminent Domain the project may be canceled or relocated
© 2015 by Dory Hippauf